Chocolate Almond Torte
- 1 ½ cups blanched slivered almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 oz bittersweet Valrhona Chocolate
- 5 eggs, separated
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp grated Meyer Lemon peel
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ tsp salt
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven 350 degree Fahrenheit. Butter 10inch round spring form pan with 2 ¾ in high sides.
- Combine almonds and 1/3 cup sugar in food processor. Blend until almonds are finely ground. Transfer almond mixture to medium bowl; do not clean processor.
- Add chocolate and 1/3 cup sugar to processor. Blend until chocolate is finely ground but not beginning to clump, about 45 seconds; stir into almond mixture.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and remaining 1/3 cup of sugar in large bowl until mixture falls in heavy ribbons (pale yellow) when beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in almond extract and lemon peel, fold in chocolate- almond mixture, then melted butter.
- Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites and salt in another large bowl until stiff.
- Fold whites into chocolate batter in three additions. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean of crumbs, about 40 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on rack. (can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temp.) Cut around pan sides to loosen; release sides. Sift powdered sugar over cake and serve with vanilla ice-cream.